Monday 14 May 2012

Elusive Moments

con·ver·sa·tion  \ˌkän-vər-ˈsā-shən\ 

(1) : oral exchange of sentiments, observations, opinions, or ideas (2) : an instance of such exchange
                                                                                          Merriam-Webster


I miss my husband.  I know we live in the same house, sleep in the same bed and share the same general longitude.  But there are days (like today) when things are particularly nuts and I feel more like we are acquaintances passing in a shop than spouses.  Don't get me wrong - even after 21 years of marriage - he still melts my butter.  It's just pretty hard to find 10 seconds to reconnect lately. 

BB has some kind of crazy software installation going on right now at work.  That's why he's gone before 6 and home again about 14 hours later.  That, coupled with guitar tutors, scuba diving lessons, karate, gymnastics, riding, various sports practices and a full social calendar - makes even conversation difficult. 

Lately when we have had a chance to talk, there have been the inevitable interruptions from noisy boys, dogs, pagers and phones.  Our best moments recently have been a few stolen exchanges over chores.  "Can you take that trash out? How was your day?  How much salad do you want?" hardly qualifies as a discussion, let alone a romantic interlude.

And I know I will miss these days.  Just as I miss chasing a toddler and cuddling a feverish preschooler.  I will miss these days.  Life goes by so fast, you miss something every time you blink.  And, intellectually, I know that we are blessed in so many ways.  Blessed that BB has a great job that he enjoys and finds intellectually stimulating.  Blessed that our kids are healthy and happy and confidant enough to be loud and active and present.  Blessed that our marriage has survived while so many of our friends have faced achingly unpleasant divorces.

But right now, I want stimulating conversation.  I want someone to mull over current events and debate politics with.  I want someone to complain to about the difficulties involved in teenager wrangling.  I want my best friend.  And if I want it to happen before our nest is empty, the only way I'm going to get him is to make a date and put it on the calendar.  Otherwise, the next time I blink our chicks will have flown and this (God willing) will be us:






So, I better go make a reservation before the thought falls out of my head (don't laugh, that happens a lot at my age!)  Wishing all of you out in blogland a wonderful week & the adult conversation of your choice! 





1 comment: